Lewis Pressure Washing
  • NWGA Scanner

Ohio man arrested on several charges after trying to outrun Catoosa deputies, GSP Trooper on I-75

According to a Georgia State Patrol and Catoosa County Sheriff's Office incident reports, on Tuesday, May 12th, 2020, at approximately 1:23 AM, Catoosa County Sheriff's Office Deputy Viar attempted to stop a 2005 Cadillac STS on I-75 South near exit 350. The driver, later identified as Damarque Antonio Demons, 26 of Dayton, Ohio, initiated a pursuit with the deputy. CPL. Cunningham joined the deputy shortly after and requested assistance from the Georgia State Patrol with the pursuit on I-75 south near mile marker 341. The Catoosa County Sheriff's Office advised Georgia State Patrol that their reason for the stop was speeding, tinted tag cover and a window tint violation. Trooper Day responded to I-75 South at mile marker 336 to assist as requested. As the pursuit approached his location, he observed the Demons traveling at a very high rate of speed in the left lane. TFC Day activated his emergency equipment and singled to the driver to stop the vehicle. Demons then initiated a pursuit with TFC Day near mile marker 334 on I-75 South. Demons began operating his vehicle in a reckless manner as he traveled 150 MPH in a 70 MPH zone. Demons swerved between vehicles without signaling, and he showed total disregard for the other motoring public by his erratic lane changes. Demons then passed a motorist on the shoulder near mile marker 332 as well as mile marker 327 has he attempted to avoid capture. Demons then made an erratic lane change as he exited onto Carbondale Road. Demons negotiated through the round-about before reentering I-75 South. At this time, the trooper attempted to set up for the Precision Immobilization Technique (PIT). Demons began operating his vehicle in an even more reckless manner by swerving between all three lanes in an attempt to block the PIT. A short time later, the trooper was able to begin the set-up for the PIT maneuver on the passenger side rear of Demons' vehicle. At this time, Demons began braking abruptly, and he lost control of his vehicle. Demons failed to maintain his lane as his vehicle began rotating counterclockwise as it traveled off the roadway onto the left shoulder. After traveling off the shoulder, Demons hit the guardrail face with the front of his vehicle. After Demon's vehicle came to an uncontrolled rest on the left shoulder, Demons, as well as his two passengers, exited the vehicle. Demons and his passengers then began fleeing on foot across the northbound lanes of I-75 into the wood line on the right shoulder of I-75 North. After entering into the wood line, Demons laid on the ground where he was located by CPL. Cunningham and Deputy Viar with the Catoosa County Sheriff's Office. The trooper removed his issued Glock Model 45 handgun from its holster while Deputy Viar detained Demons. Trooper and deputies entered the wood line, where they located the subject that was sitting in the passenger side rear of the vehicle a short time later. The passenger, who was identified as Jiaire Lamar Beard, 21 of Cincinnati, Ohio, complied with verbal commands to show his hands, and to lay on the ground. Demons' second passenger was not located due to the dense brush that he fled into. CPL. Cunningham and Deputy Viar escorted both subjects back to the scene of the crash. Deputy Viar's dash camera, as well as Demons' red jacket, identified Demons as the driver of the vehicle. After checking the status of Demons' license through GCIC, which showed that his license was suspended through the state of Ohio. GCIC also showed that the tag displayed on the vehicle was registered to a Hyundai passenger car. GCIC showed that the correct tag registration had expired on 4/29/2020. While completing the crash report, the investigating trooper did not locate any insurance information inside the vehicle. Demons were also not able to provide proof of insurance. While searching the vehicle, troopers located $1998 dollars in the right front pocket of a denim jacket that was located in the passenger side front seat. Both Demons and Beard advised that the money did not belong to them. The money was placed back inside the pocket and was it was notated on the tow receipt. Demons was placed under arrest, and he was transported to the Whitfield County Sheriff's Office, where he was released to jail personnel. Demons was charged with alteration of license plates, operate w/o proper tag / decal; new resident 30 days to reg, willful obstruction of law officers, improper pass on right; passing on shoulder of roadway, fleeing/ attempting to elude police officer, felony, fail to use signal, reckless driving, failure to maintain lane, driving while license is suspended or revoked, no insurance, and maximum limits